Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Not so cute


Dan's parents went to Guatemala to get him after he finished his mission, on that trip the bought a lot o traditional items from back there. They displayed this big wooden plaque on their wall when they got back. I have always liked it and felt kind of proud that they had it up there, it was a little piece from back home and I liked looking at it. The funny thing is that I never really payed attention to the whole picture that is carved in it.
From far away it looks like two guys holding lances and doing a little dance, but that is so not what they are doing. It is two guys about to sacrifice this little guy who is laying on an altar. It should not surprise me since that is what they used to do anyways. The thing is that Dan took a picture of it and when we put it on the computer you are able to see in detail what they are doing. There is the guy on the right holding the knife about to kill what actually looks like a little kid. Of all the things they could carve into the plate and they chose to carve a human sacrifice... I still like the plate :) But if I ever get one I will make sure it has a pretty picture.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger