Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day of thanks # 19

As I was driving Tristan to school today he started to point out all the holes and things that are broken on his shoes... I didn't know they were that bad already. I told him not to worry and I would get him new shoes. Saying those words brought back memories of my childhood when my shoes had holes and I still had to wear them like that, my socks had holes and I still had to wear them like that... so many things that had to wait until Christmas time because that was the time for a new outfit and if lucky new shoes. Yeah life was hard growing up, hand me downs all the time up until I had my own money to buy my own and even then mostly from the thrift stores. I didn't mind it, that is all I knew and knowing there was nothing we could do about it, we didn't complain and were grateful for what we had. So today I am grateful to be able to tell my kids that they don't have to wear those old shoes with holes anymore, I am grateful that we can afford to put clothes on their backs and shoes on their feet (I still love hand me downs and are always welcome). Sorry for the long stories but sometimes I think it is important for people to understand where I am coming from because I really don't take things for granted.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Hyde-I love your thankful posts. We truly have much to be grateful for. Thanks for sharing.

Powered By Blogger