Friday, February 13, 2009
Walmart employees.
I don't mind going to Walmart and most of the time I get out of there happy with my experiences but some times there are certain people that just treat me really bad. I am sure that being "latina" has a lot to do with what happens to me, not only at Walmart but other places. Dan bought me a truffle chocolate cake, it looked so good and we sat down to eat when I noticed the flavor was not right, it tasted old and gross, so I went to check on the expiration date and it said "eat or freeze before 02/12/2009". I worked at a bakery before and I know they are supposed to pull those cakes out on that day, I also know that sometimes they forget so I took it back to the store to get a refund or exchange for another one, but I was only going through the front door were they usually give you a sticker to do a refund or exchange. The lady there asked me what was wrong with the cake and I told her, she then told me that the cake was probably just fine, I told her that she could have a bite if she wanted to and then pointed at the expiration date sticker, to what she replied that today was only the 13th, so??? I told her that I know what chocolate is supposed to taste like and that the cake really was bad, she then told me "you are probably just used to eating Spanish chocolate", I just stood there and looked at her, a bunch of very offensive thoughts came to my head and the only thing that came out of me was "what did you say?", she of course just smiled and I told her how ridiculous that was, I walked away thinking about what she said, I mean what does that even mean? Chocolate is chocolate, rotten food is rotten food it does not matter were you are from or what you are used to eating, the fact remained that the cake was bad and she only needed to give me the sticker. Some people just say the stupidest things or I just take the wrong way (the 2nd is probably most likely). While I was in line waiting to do the return I kept shaking my head and thinking about that woman and I thought about walking back to her and give her a piece of my mind, but she would have probably forgotten all about me already. I got the money back and did not feel like buying another cake, not because of the bad taste that cake left me but because of the bad taste that woman left in me, if that makes any sense. I have been living in this country for 10 years and I have encountered all kinds of costumer service, good and bad, for some reason being Hispanic has to do a lot with the way people treat me, you have to live it to understand what it feels like. Simple comments like does make me so mad because I don't really know what they mean by it, so I always assume the worst. Anyways I am sure you all think this was nothing, I just feel mad and wanted to write it down. Aveces solo quisiera regresarme a Guatemala donde nadie hace distincion de quien soy como me miro y si tengo acento o no, me pregunto cuantas veces yo trate mal a los pobres indigenas de Guatemala y talvez debi haber sido mas amable, pero regularmente trate a todos de la misma forma. Los gringos a veces me enojan tanto y pienso que Dan es el unico que es amable con los latinos. El haberme convertido ciudadana no ha cambiado nada en la forma en que la gente me mira y trata, la frustracion que siento aveces es tan grande que no lo puedo explicar y si no lo escribo no me sentire mejor, asi que aqui esta, ya lo escribi y aunque la gente no lo entienda a mi me hace sentir mejor. Tonta senora de Walmart...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That is so awful. WHY do people think they should say stuff like that to people. That makes me so mad for you.
I hope you complained to the manager about her. That is awful. She has no right to say that. I am mad just sitting here thinking about it. I so wish I was there with you so I could have said a few words to her. GRRRR!
That was so rude and that just tells you how nice you are, I would have punched her in the face! Please don't let her comments get to you, she must have problems of her own to go attacking other people. I am so sorry you had to go through that!
You were not wrong in feeling that she was being very rude - she is a bigot. Unfortunately, I have gotten rude comments for being a woman, looking young, having a blonde daughter, and yes - even being white. She definitely has some issues that she will have to deal with someday...and I am very sorry that you got the brunt of it.t
I would have wanted to say, "Yes, I'm used to eating Spanish chocolate - and you must be used to saying hick stupidities." What an idiot.
Post a Comment