Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My broken list

So Dan has this idea that there is a dark rainy cloud hanging over him and that it has been there for years, he says that thanks to him I also get affected by it. I keep telling him that he has to think positive and good things will come to him. Anyways we always laugh about all the things that we buy that are broken and during the last 10 years we have a pretty long list. I am sure other people have had the same problem I am sure that we are not the only ones with this kind of luck. So here it goes:

1. First car we ever bought and I don't even remember what kind it was, it was our first car and we were excited, we drove away from the dealer and our little baby Shayna in the back. We drove on the freeway for a while and as we were getting on the exit we heard a noise then saw a tire bouncing on the side of the car and then the car leaned to the side and those were one of the scariest seconds in my life. Dan being the good driver that he is was able to make the car get to the side of the road safely and then we checked on Shayna to make sure everyone was OK, Dan kept laughing and I was crying the entire time. We realized then that the entire thing that holds the tire had come off and there we were with an useless car. We got the money back and the guys wanted to fix the car and give it back to us, but why would we want it back?

2. Second car that we bought, we bought it from a mechanic in West Virginia thinking that because it was a mechanic the deal was great. He even gave us a warranty on the car for 30 days. Sadly exactly 30 days after we bought it the car died and we had no idea why. A mechanic told us that the seller knew exactly what he was doing. So no car again. We eventually got a good car :)

3. We bought a floor lamp that was broken and back then Dan hated going to the store to exchange stuff so we kept the broken lamp for a long time, it was very annoying.

4. Dan got me a Jewelry box that was really cute, he came home all excited after work (at 3 am) and made me open the present and the first words that came out of my mouth were "it's broken", he was so mad and and that is when he decided that we were going to go the store the next day and exchange it. I got a new one and I have had ever since.

5. Surround sound system that we bought about 5 years ago lasted for like 2 months and then it started having issues, luckily I had saved the receipt and and were able to exchange it for another one.

6. The many times we have gotten food from the drive thru at MacDonald's, Wendy's, BK (too many to list)

7. The first table we bought at Walmart for $150.00, it was great it had 6 chairs and a decent size table, we put it all together and when we got to the last chair one of the pieces was broken. I knew the store had another box so I went back with the broken piece hoping they would just replace it with one from the box (it made total sense to me), the customer service rep told me to bring back the entire set, I explained to her that it was all put together and the box was destroyed, she kept insisting, so I asked to talk to the manager who agreed with me and I got my part exchanged.

8. My beautiful fridge we bought back in Utah after a while it didn't work properly anymore so we had to get it fixed and it probably works better now. This happened of course after the warranty had expired. They had to come back and fix it again because the guy who fixed it didn't do it right.

9. When we bought Rock Band the one guitar that came with the kit didn't work so we had to contact them and ask for a replacement which took like a month to get to our house.

10. More recently Dan bought me not only one but TWO hair straighteners when we first moved to Texas from a website that has really good deals. He made a mistake on the order that's how we ended up with two and he would not return the second one so we kept both. I was going to give my mom the second one but after using it for a month mine started smoking while I was using it and the thing started to melt on my hair. It was supposed to be one of those very expensive ones and really good, but it didn't work, so I opened the second one and guess what? It was broken too, on that one only the one side would get hot and the other one didn't.

11. An NFL game Dan bought back in 2002 didn't have the game inside, instead it came with a little demo thing, when we took it back to the store they didn't know what had happened, the game was sealed and there was no way they put it in there, that was a packaging mistake I guess.

12. My beautiful sewing table that I got for Christmas, it was beautiful but they put these stupid little plastic rollers for such a heavy table and one of the wheels came off and we could not put it back in. I of course got my money back on that. Joan's customer service is really bad, when I called them the lady on the phone was so rude but he people at the sore were super nice and understanding.

13. We bought two sets of window covers to get the sun out of the kids faces, there were two in each package but out of four only one worked, I exchanged them for something better.

14. We recently bought a pick up truck for Dan so that I could keep his car during the week. The guy that sold it to us was not a very nice guy, we discovered we were going to have to pay over two thousand dollars to fix it, so it had been sitting on my driveway since December, we bought it just 4 days before Christmas and two days later after getting it we found out about the problems it had so I called the guy to ask him to give us the money back since he wasn't very honest with us, of course he didn't and kept saying that the car was in very good condition. We finally sold it yesterday, we lost money but it is gone now.

15. Our dinning set had a chair that was missing one of the holes to put the screw in it. I tried to fix it but couldn't do it. That same night we took it back and the people at IKEA tried to put it together, the guy came out half an hour later with the chair all put together but Dan asked them to give us another one, since that one was so hard to put together.

16. The medicine the pharmacy gave me for Aaron when he was really sick and he ended up getting an overdose of his medication.

17. When Victor was born (we didn't buy anything but we payed for services) the doctor had a student working with him and he put something on my cervix to soften them and that is when I heard him say "oops", he put it way more than he was supposed to and tried to fix it :) 4 hours later I was in intense labor having trouble getting Victor out, Dan barely made it and I didn't get any medication for the pain. Victor came out with the cord wrapped around his neck and he didn't cry or made any kind of noise. The nurses kept saying everything was fine but they kept pushing the emergency button and giving him oxygen, he finally cried after a while. The doctor got there like 10 minutes later and was very disappointed. We are so glad Victor was fine after all.

The list goes on and on and on but I keep thinking about all the good luck we have had in the past too and that list is even bigger. Anyways I just think that it is kind of funny that these things happen to us (years after they happen), we are probably just plain stupid with the car issues but there is no other we are going to change the way we shop for cars, we don't like making car payments so we rather pay cash for them, we do take a big risk and we expect people to be honest just like we are, but we realized that is not the case.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just have the same "car" gene we have! It's a "Brown" thing I guess. At least, you have purchased a few "good" cars! I think we could list the cars we have bought that are just about as good as your truck! Except for one that they guy wouldn't give the money back (an hr later!) and I think we just junked it. Sigh!

I'm glad you got a nice one now!!!

TravelMama said...

Wow. What a list!

KT and Lance said...

We have car issues too! Sorry about the truck, but seriously, the flat iron story cracked me up! I can't believe it was smoking and melted hair!

thanks for the call today, it was so good to talk!

Powered By Blogger