Amber and the kids made in time and the Ceremony started. There were probably about a thousand people, I might be wrong, but there were lots of people. The Judge was really nice and the whole thing seemed like a dream to me. I had waited for this for months now and I didn't know what to expect really, my brother Nefi and my sister in law Tashia went through this experience before and it is not the same for everybody. It was exciting and also sad for me. By becoming a Citizen of the United States I am letting go part of me, I know that words can't explain exactly how I feel, but all I can say is that I am blessed for having this opportunity and I am looking forward to a lot more experiences in my life just as exciting as this one. I am glad I had my family with me even if my kids were acting like... kids? I feel bad for them in a way because they didn't really now what was going on and it took a long time. But I am grateful that they could be there, and also for Amber's support.
Just know that in my heart I will always be Guatemalteca and I wont forget where I come from, my home, my land, my culture. I am grateful to live in a country where they let you become one of them. So thanks everybody for your support and friendship. I can say now I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!
Aaron and me waiting, later Aaron fell asleep on the floor.
Family picture, Amber and Olivia, Ceremony Oath and me taking the Oath

9 comments:
Wow. What a day. I am sure you have mixed emotions, but I am so grateful that you are here because you are such a sweet friend. I am glad that have been able to do what you wanted.
That is awesome Hyde! I am sure glad you came to America, so that I could get to know you.
Happy Birthday!
Congrats Hyde! I am sure you have mixed emotions. But just think how lucky your kids are to have two cultures to learn from! I am glad that you are here too! You are awesome.
I felt a little sad myself listening to the oath, because of how it talks about renouncing all allegiance, and without any mental reservation. I wondered if I could do that, and realized that this was something that everyone in there had thought and possibly prayed about, and what a big deal this was for them and for you. I liked how the lady talked about keeping her culture and heritage, and adding it to America. We were so proud of you and happy to be there - you will always be mi cunada maya!
Congrats Hyde! What an experience for you. I too am so glad I got to know you and your darling family. We love you guys.
Congrats Hyde! What an experience for you. I too am so glad I got to know you and your darling family. We love you guys.
I'm so happy for you!! You have waited a long time, and you did it!! Like Trina said, you guys have 2 cultures in your home, and that is soo special! CONGRATS!!!
Congratulations! I can't imagine how hard it must be to feel like you are leaving a part of yourself behind. I don't think I would have the guts to go live in another country. You are very brave. I'm glad you are officially American now!
Your blog almost made me cry! I am so happy for you! Never forget where you came from though or who you are. Congrats! Ps, you were such a beautiful baby/little girl. Shanna looks just like you! Happy late b-day.
Post a Comment