Monday, November 10, 2008

That is it!!!

Yesterday I was very frustrated with how things work on Sunday. I always get up very excited and hopeful that the kids will behave and try to avoid getting punished for it. We have a simple rule, you sit there quietly and try to listen or you get sent to your room as soon as you get home. I guess they must like the punishment because somehow they always manage to fight with each other or talk too loud, or Tristan cries because he wants to do something, I understand that the sacrament meeting can be boring for the little ones, but also remember how we used to behave as little kids during sacrament and moving around or crying wasn't part of it. Tristan won the prize yesterday because he was the worst one and insisted that he had done a great job behaving... by the end of the meetings I had a huge headache and when we got home I had to lay down for a couple of hours. Mean while Victor in his room took Tristan's matres off the bed and all the toys were on the floor. Shayna's room didn't look any better either. A family in he ward invited us over for dessert at their house and we had fun there, I was just surprised to see their house, it was huge, very elegant and most of all it was clean and on a Sunday!!! I don't know how they do it but my house doesn't look like that at all. I have tried everything to teach my kids to keep things organized and to put away the toys when they are done playing, they can play all they want that is the reason we get the toys for them, but the cleaning part never happens. So last night I decided that today while they are all in school I am getting all their toys out of their room and wont give them back until they can prove to me that they will behave at church and they can be responsible for their own messes. I know this might be a bit extreme but I don't know what else to do. We always try to teach our kids about their actions and consecuences and I know they understand it, but for some reason they choose to ignore it an do it anyways. I know we are not perfect parents and this punishment is probably far from what anybody else would do, but something has to be done right now before it gets worse and they grow up. Why is it that other people have perfectly well behaved kids and I don't? I am not mad at them right now, just a little frustrated and yes I still love them to death, I am just trying to teach them good behavior.

8 comments:

shaunandnina said...

I know how you feel! And I currently have 6 totes full of toys locked away. My kids don't miss them, but there is a lot less to clean up now! Way to go Mom! It seems that the trick is finding out what consequence your child actually really doesn't want. I try to console myself by saying that the really intelligent kids are harder to discipline. I don't know if it is actually true for me, but your kids sure seem to fit that description! Good Luck!!!

heather said...

I know how you feel as well. I think that if you look around during sacrament meeting, most of the kids aren't very well behaved...My kids are always hard to control during sacrament meeting, but I also think that everyone is so worried about what their kids are doing, they don't notice that everyone elses kids are making noise and wiggling too! Our biggest problem on sunday is getting ready in the morning, even when I pack the bags and lay out everyones clothes the night before, it seems like we are rushing out the door, late, and at least 2 kids are crying every week! I decided yesterday that it is Satans way of trying to get us to stay home. He knows how important it is for our families to go to church and he does everything he can to discourage it! sorry for the long comment, I just want you to know that you arent alone!!!

Jordan said...

To me it always seems that other kids are more welled behaved but I've noticed that things always arent as they seem and every family has their own faults. I do remember when you were in our ward and I DID notice how well your children were during sacrament!! Maybe they are just going through a phase...it will pass i'm sure. Good luck though. I think taking the toys away is a good idea and will for sure teach them something!

Anna Linnea said...

I'm so happy to hear that your family isn't perfect! Sundays are always crazy here as well, and as for the toys, I finally got sick of it all one day and moved it all to the unfinished basement where I don't have to look at it. It gets cleaned like once every couple of months, but I DON'T CARE! The kids have a hard time finding there toys in the mess sometimes, but I tell them if they kept it organized they wouldn't have a problem. Oh life with kids. I just have to remind myself that someday they will be all grown up and I will miss their little messes.

Chulitamaya said...

I didn't expect this, I thought everybody was going to think that I am such a mean mom. Thanks for your support. And Jordan I am glad that you know that my family is not perfect, we are far from it :)

Unknown said...

Bravo! I love your kids but I know that they like to push buttons, and you aren't being mean by teaching them to be clean and responsible. Hopefully this will be the last thing you have to try! Olivia's starting to get more independent now too, so it's good to hear other people's ideas about how to help kids learn to behave.

KT and Lance said...

I too had the worst Sunday yesterday, I came home after Sacrament meeting, called Lance and cried! I cried most of the afternoon! You are so not alone sister! I think one of the most important things I've learned lately, is to not compare myself to others. Not only does it drive myself crazy, but it's not really fair. Everyone has issues, and no one is perfect, even if it seems they always have a clean house! I think that messy houses are more comfortable to be in! Not gross dirty houses, but a house that looks lived in, is always more inviting! I like the packing up the toys idea, remind them that you are serious. I think I might try that!

Emily said...

I love your honesty! Kids bring so so much joy, yet so much frustration. You are a great Mom and have wonderful kids. Hang in there!
Im sure your friends cleaned up before you came. There is nothing like company coming over, to motivate me to clean my house!

Powered By Blogger