The day before winter break, Shayna's teacher sent home the booklet with all the information about the Spelling Bee that was going to take place at her school. I thought they had a couple of months to get ready for it, but it wasn't the case for Shayna, it was today and we just barely found out yesterday that we could attend to it. We spent some time studying the words and trying to learn how to pronounce them and the meaning of them, they had some very weird words that I have never heard of like kovsh, bandersnatch and many many others. I told Shayna not to be nervous and to do her best, it was just a cool experience to go through since she was the only one elected out of her class. They had 30 participants and she passed the first round, after that only 12 remained, she got a very hard word on the second round and didn't make it to the final round, by the way the runner up just got lucky because she got a very easy word (safari). The finalist now moves to the regionals and from then they go to Washington DC for the Nationals. I know that they could have let us know about this way ahead of time, but for being her first time she did great. I have to say that she is a very brave little girl to stand in front of so many people, the competition was between 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. Next time we will be prepared. The pictures came out all backwards but you get the idea.
On the way to school we just put Aaron in the car and he tried to get out of the car seat, this is how he had to stay for half the way there, he was to scared to move, I know it is not safe, but hey it takes longer to strap him in than to get to the school.

After the first round.

Shayna's turn to spell.

The entire group before the Spelling Bee

Shayna's new look.
3 comments:
Good job Shayna! AND cute bangs!
Hey, Shayna, we're proud of you. What a great experience! I wish I could spell good enough to try something like that.
That is so cute. Go Shayna! I think I understand how you learned English so fast and well.
Post a Comment