Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day and Shayna's broken arm

So my exciting weekend turned out to be full of unexpected situations. We had planned on going out to eat on Saturday to celebrate Mothers Day and when we found out Tristan had croup we didn't want to spread the virus, so we stayed home and had fun anyways, Dan and the kids made our day special and it was full of presents and love and wonderful cards. Victor decided he wanted to poke his nose and he made it bleed, after making a mess all over the bathroom and carpet he finally found some paper to put over his nose. That boy sure can bleed :) Later on he started to bleed for reason so I kept him downstairs with Tristan to keep a close eye on both of them. Obviously you can imagine what kind of night it was since I had to sleep in our recliner and I must say it is not very comfortable. Tristan ended up having a fever but other than that the vaporizer worked wonders for him. I didn't go to church because I was tired and I had to take care of Tristan, I was very sad to skip church today since the kids were going to sing in the primary and Shayna had a talk to give. The day was going fine today until it was time for Dan to do his school work and I wanted to take the noisy children out of the house. We went to the park like any other day and I was sitting on the bench watching the kids play while reading the Ensign. Tristan told me he was feeling tired so we walked back home, on the way home there is this bridge that goes over this river like thing and it has a concrete railing, Shayna loves to balance on it and every time we tell her to get down, today for reason I didn't tell her to get down and even I was up there with her, I turned around to look at Tristan and then I heard Shayna trip and when I looked at her she was already falling, she fell on the grass so I thought she was fine, but when she got up she was complaining about her arm. We walked all the way home and her arm got swollen and she could not move it anymore. When she got home I told Dan what had happened and told him that we needed to go to the ER. Thankfully for us my mom stayed home with the rest of the crazy people and we took our monkey girl to the hospital. They took X-rays and we were told she has an elbow fracture, a very common fracture in kids her age and they can't put a cast on it, it has to get swollen a little bit more and we need to keep an eye on it until the orthopedic takes a look a it. Most likely she will have to have surgery in the next 3 to 4 days all depending on what the doctor says. They put a splint on her arm and gave her lots of meds for the pain. She was so funny to watch because we kept telling her that her arm was probably broken and she insisted that it wasn't. We took pictures of it because it looked very weird, and then there is the after picture with a big smile on her face because the meds were working :)
I am sure that even if she has to have the surgery everything will be fine, but it still scares the heck out of me because SURGERY is a big word in my book. I hate the fact that a little girl, specially mine has to go through that and I wish I could take it away also, if croup was making me feel bad for Tristan this is killing me, she has no clue that she might need surgery, or at least she doesn't know exactly what that means yet. Of course I wont tell her anything until the doctor says if it has to happen. She told me that this was the worst Mothers Day present she could ever give me, which made me laugh since I know she didn't mean to get hurt. Actually we have been waiting for something like this to happen for years, if you know Shayna, you know that she loves to climb on everything and do all kinds of crazy things, she has fallen before, but this has been the worst that has happened to her. Please keep her in your prayers so she can get out of this one just fine.

10 comments:

Tiffany W. said...

the poor thing! I am so sorry! surgery is scary when it is your own child... even if it is a minor one. we will for sure keep her in her prayers.

I was looking at Shayna today at church as she sang up on the stand with all the primary kids. They had the girls grouped on one side and the boys on the other. She was like a rose among daisies! Of course all those little girls were darling up there...how could they not be in their Sunday best and their sweet little voices? but Shayna is STUNNING! A beautiful little girl you have...even with a broken arm! ;)

Chulitamaya said...

Oh that is so sweet Tiffany, thanks I wish I could have been there to see her :)

Kawa Rangers said...

You guys are having a CRAZY weekend. Hope everyone gets better soon! Keep us posted on Shayna.

Denise said...

So sorry about Shayna-not fun at all. Luckily it wasn't a compound fracture. Hope this next week/weekend goes better for all of you.

Anna said...

Oh my goodness! Your little family has had the worst luck! Good luck with Shayna and her arm. If its not one thing, its another. Hang in there! You are a great mother and your kids and Dan are lucky to have you!!! Happy Mothers Day!

Dad said...

Give Shayna a big hug for me and tell her that I love her and hope she gets well soon.

The Bingham's said...

OH man, that is the worst. I hope all goes well. It was hard when Heidi broke her arm and it was in a cast. I think if it was surgery, I would be panicing too. GOOD LUCK!!

Michelle said...

I hope it works out that she doesn't have to have surgery. That would be so hard to watch her go through as a mom. I hope she heals quickly too.

Emily said...

Yuck! What a happy mohter's day for you.

KT and Lance said...

Poor Girl! Seriously though, someday our kids will listen to us, then they will nag their kids when they have them! Good Luck!

Powered By Blogger