Monday, August 10, 2009

Lost and found

By now I think that I really fit into the category of being a bad mom, I have taken my kids to the ER a few times due to a dislocated elbow, broken arm, busted eyebrow, paint brush in the ear... I have locked 2 of my babies and a toddler in my car (two separate times)... they have run wild in the store and fallen many many many many times... and today to top it all off I lost Tristan at the book store and the worst part is that I didn't even know it.

The story: (I apologize for my long posts) We decided to have a movie night for Family Home Evening and went to see "Night at the Museum" which was really funny by the way, great clean and fun movie. After that we went to the browse the book store for a while. I don't like doing that with all the kids because if I were another shopper in the store without kids trying to look for books I would probably go insane looking at 4 crazy kids running all over the place and a crazy lady (me) chasing those kids all over the place. Dan and I were on our way out when I saw Shayna attempting to give Aaron a horseback ride and I told her not to do that in the store because he could fall. I trusted she wasn't going to do that and kept looking at some games when I hear Aaron crying as he is falling off Shayna's back and I see him hit the tile of course, everyone around me is looking and I just pick him up and give Shayna the evil look, I then ran out of the store as soon as I could thinking that all the kids were staying with Dan while I took the poor screaming child out of the book store. I get out and then I see that Shayna and Victor had followed me, I knew we were all together in the same spot and so I really thought that Tristan had stayed with Dan, after making sure Aaron wasn't bleeding and seeing how happy he was 5 minutes after, I get this weird feeling in my stomach and called Dan to make sure he had Tristan with him, when I hear him say "no", I panicked and was about to run back in the store when Dan informs me that he sees him and and they are coming out. I saw Tristan's sad little face and hugged him and apologized for what had happened. On the way to the car he tells me that he was really sad and he was crying and this nice lady was helping him look for his family. I just kept thinking how scary it would have been for my little guy to not see his mom or dad close by. I felt really bad and kept saying how sad it would be if I really lost him. The one thing that was good about this experience for him is that he told me that from now on he is going to hold my hand when we go to the store or let me carry him so he wont get lost again.
When I asked him if he had been scared he said "No, but I really missed you" it broke my heart. We were about to get in the car when Shayna yells "oh crap!!!" and then we found out that she left her little purse in the movie theater and we ran back to look for it, we found it and she was happy.
Believe it or not I do pay lots of attention to my kids when we are out and the fact that Dan was with us made me feel more comfortable about walking out of the store without even thinking twice that somebody was going to be left behind. It was only about five minutes but I am sure that for Tristan it was pretty scary and it probably seemed longer. My mistake was to not ask Dan and make sure he would stay with the kids.
Some times I feel like we moms need to be a mixture of an octopus and a lizard, lots of arms for each child and eyes that can see all around us.

5 comments:

KT and Lance said...

No worries Hyde, it could have been much worse! My sister got left at a rest stop once. We got a few miles down the road and realized she wasn't in the car, made a U turn on "authorized cars only" and went back for her. After that, we all had to count off in the car!

We all know your a good mom!

Tiffany W. said...

Ha! An octopus and a lizard, eh? Sounds awesome! :)

Mom said...

You know, that happens to every parent at least once raising children! We left Warren in the grocery store one time and when we went back to get him, they had put him in the seat of a cart by the big window. When we came back for him, he was very happily looking out the window at the customers coming and going! I really felt stupid on that one!

Mom said...

You know, that happens to every parent at least once raising children! We left Warren in the grocery store one time and when we went back to get him, they had put him in the seat of a cart by the big window. When we came back for him, he was very happily looking out the window at the customers coming and going! I really felt stupid on that one!

Mom said...

Sorry for the double publish! I'm not very good at this stuff yet and probably never will be!

Powered By Blogger