Wednesday, August 22, 2012

School Supplies.

OK so I checked my numbers again and added some other items that we had not been able to find before so my grand total was $43.69 but still a pretty good total if you ask me.  Considering this year we went with a lot of brand name items that I usually stay away from. Here are the pics and the explanation for anybody who is interested in shopping this way in the future.... yes I go to several stores but it is done over 3 weeks or so and I don't go to every single one on the same day.  It is a waiting game mixed with the use of coupons and a lot of patience.  I think it works for me and a lot of people ask "how do you do it with 5 kids" my friends let me tell you that there is no other way!
I have 4 kids in school so the school lists are very different every year, two of them wont be using back packs but will use binders, I don't like to add the backpacks price into my total because they are actually an investment for future use, we just trade them in a couple of years.  Aaron of course got a brand new one this year because it is his first official year at school and Tristan seemed very happy with a $5.00 back from the 99 cent store.  My kids are learning young :)
 I hate getting these folder but they are good quality and since they are supposed to last all year then I didn't mind getting them this time around.  11 of them for 0.40 cents each at Office Depot
 Walmart had notebooks on sale for $0.17 so I grabbed 8 of them
 A local dollar store has all kinds of school supplies and are cheaper than other places, all these items were $3.00 total.
 Dollar Tree has the manila pads for $1.00 each
 This pic has a mix of pencils from previous years. The highlighter were $0.15 and the three bottoms erasers were $0.25 each.
 Kroger had a great sale on these pens 6 for $1.00
 Office Depot had filler paper for $0.25 each, glue was free, eraser and pencil sharpeners where $0.25 each but the sharpeners were an unnecessary buy, since the kids were with me they begged me to get them and I could not resist.
 Office Max had pencils for 5 cents each (we got 20 since that is all we needed), the glue was 1 cent and the Purel hand sanitizer was great deal with coupons. My total for these purchase was $3.00
 Walmart (this was my first buy of the season for school items) the construction paper was $2.50... not the greatest price.  Glue and scissors were $0.25 each.
 Kroger and probably one of my most awesome buys: Klennex tissue boxes were on sale for $0.99 cents each when you buy 10 items and I used a coupon that took $0.50 off when you buy 3, the Hefty bags were also $0.99 and I used a coupon that took $1.00 off when you buy 2 which made them $0.50 each!!! I am still doing my happy dance.
 These notebooks were probably the cheapest buy, all together $2.55 at Office Depot.  The sale was for composition books at $0.25 each and the folders were 1 cent each and we were allowed to get 3 notebooks per person and 10 folders as well.  I went to the store once and before the week was over Dan went with me and got two more sets, making it 9 composition books and 30 folders).  So worth it. Just one composition book can be priced at $2.00 and you are lucky to find them for 50 cents anywhere else.
Target deals Total of $10.00 it was a while ago so I don't remember the details but the Roseart products were priced at 25 cents, 50 cents and up to $1.00 I had 3 coupons to use that took $1.00 off when you buy 3 items so I got some free crayons or inexpensive markers for that we only got what we needed.  The pens were also bought with store coupons and manufacturer coupons, got 3 notebooks and 2 pencil bags at $2.00 each for the Shayna and Victor.  I could have found cheaper bags at the dollar store but I was tired and Victor really loves the Angry Birds.
And that my friends concludes the adventures of the Brown household purchasing school items for the year 2012 except of course when they get their clearance items and we can stock up for next year that is of course if we can get them for really really cheap!

PS.  I still need 2 or 3 bottles of hand sanitizer (the bigger size) but I am waiting on a good deal for those and since they probably wont have anything before school starts we will end up going to the dollar store during the weekend and spend $2.00 or $3.00

No comments:

Powered By Blogger