Friday, August 24, 2012

Olympics 2012

I have to say that we really look forward to the Summer Olympics around here and we had big plans for it this year but we never found the time to get all of our stuff together so we just enjoyed watching them and did our little Olympics this week.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything that has to do with gymnastics and specially this year for us was supper exciting to know that a little girl from Guatemala was going to be representing them in that area. She was actually really good but I think the nerves got the best of her.  I of course could not see her on TV because who cares about a little country from Central America right?  I did find a couple of routines on a Latin channel but that was it, the rest was online.  She managed to move to the finals but that's where she has trouble and went home with no medal.  It was just as exciting anyways.
Another guy from my country though did very well and got  a Silver Medal, the first one ever in the history on Guatemala.  I was so excited when I read about it on FB, that is how I was keeping up with the information and saw his picture there, could not believe it and the kids were wondering what was wrong with me when I started to scream and jump up and down. Of course they also joined me in the celebration after I told them, we were hoping he could get a second medal on the bigger race but he got disqualified, sniff sniff.
I think the fact that we got a medal will probably encourage more people back home to train and get better and maybe send more people to the Olympics next time, I am sure there is a lot of talent back home.  I know the guy got a huge reception when he got back and they had concerts and all kinds of stuff.  We are very proud of him.
My kids and I really enjoyed sitting on the couch and watching the Olympics for a few hours every day, of course they did their chores before so we didn't feel that lazy.  I did miss a few things because my recorder does not have enough space for all the events I was recording so we missed the synchronized swimming which is a must see for me and the rhythmic gymnastics too. The one thing we didn't enjoy was the opening and closing exercises, who comes up with that stuff?  I can't wait to see what Brazil comes up with in 4 years,  wish I could go there... maybe I can contact my uncle who lives in Rio De Janeiro and go visit him around that time, yeah like that's gonna happen :)
So we went to the park this week and did a few events of our own there.  It was kind of funny and silly but the most important thing is to just have fun with the kids. Here are a few pics of our Olympians.

 Everybody went on the beam but Aaron fell right at the end, the funny thing is that after he fell he still did his little salute (picture below), we also have a video of Shayna falling during her routine, that was priceless.

 Victor did this awesome jump and he got fold for it.
 Of course we did some training before we started full force.
 Can you see the look on Kahlan's face?  She was freaked out by the loud airplanes going over the park, poor baby.

 My awesome and valiant boy Aaron, he had no fear going up and down that thing.
 Shayna was nice enough to help Tristan complete a couple of things, I love it when they look out for each other.

 Aaron got mostly bronze medals on all the events but he didn't care, he was just happy to hear that he had gotten a medal.  I love my kids.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger