Saturday, January 28, 2012
Pinewood Derby
What a difference a year can make. Last year we were introduced to the wonderful and exciting world of Pinewood Derby. We had no clue about how to do it but we did our best and Victor had fun which was the most important thing. I remember him being over excited about getting 4th place (which was the last place since there were only 4 racers). Aside from not having a clue about how to make one of those cars, we barely had any tools to shape it and the one that we had broke... anyways. We had to get it done so we got all the tools that we needed, special paint, extra parts, weights, etc. We spent more money than I care to spend on a little thing but Victor was happy with the result, his car looked cool. We also took 2 weeks to get the shape that he wanted. This year I spent $0.00, yes that's right. I didn't know any better before but now I have grown wiser.
Victor's uncle Steven has tons of tools at his house and Dan asked him if they could bring by the block of wood to shape it for him. He did and it was a job well done (Thank you Steven for your help!!). We only had to give it the extra details and sand it down. It was all done in a day and a half. Victor painted a bright blue all over and a fire design on the sides. When it was done it was all shiny. The tires are still the tricky part for us but I think we did better than last year.
All in all what I love about last night's experience is that Victor had a positive attitude just like he did last year and he was glad to just be part of the race. His friends had some clever ideas too and he even told me which one was his favorite, a Ninja design car. It is great to see him appreciate the effort someone else put into their car. So he came home with his special Pinewood Derby pin which he said to me in a whisper "My first trophy ever" and that my friends made it all worthwhile.
Here we see his car in action, not sure if this is the one that got 1st place... it happened twice.
His awesome car with the shiny paint job.
Taking second place in one of the races
The winners of the night. What an exciting night is was!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's awesome, Hyde! Thanks for sharing those pictures too! Great job, boys! :)
iwalkalongtheroad.blogspot.com
Post a Comment