I really don't mean to sound weird about it but think about the most awaited day of your life (up to that point) and all the plans that you made including the dress... all gone. I recognize that I had to deal with what I had at the moment but I felt cheated out of what was supposed to be Dan's and our day. It isn't anybody's fault really, it is just what my life has been all about. When Dan and I decided to get married we instantly thought that it was going to happen in my country, with my family and our friends. Never in my wild dreams did I dream of having my wedding so far away from home. I had already chosen the dress, we had the place almost set up for our reception and were planing on what kind of food to get, we were even getting a disco (basically a DJ with all kinds of music) for that day. My mom was going to make my dream cake that we had planned since I was like 14. But it was not meant to be, after a few months of figuring out how to go about making me legal in this country we found out that the best thing to do was to marry in the states and coming in with a "Fiance Visa", which meant that all the planning was done for nothing. Since we really wanted to get married at that point we didn't care and did not think of the specifics. It all became so real when my mother in law asked me to go with her to pick out a wedding dress and then I realized how lost I was in this country... I had no idea where to get a dress, I didn't know how much I was supposed to spend ( I had some money for it that I brought from back home), all I knew is that I was all alone to make the decisions, I really needed my mother at that point. I thought that if I could find a dress then everything else would just come together somehow and it did. Some sisters in the ward were pros at making wedding receptions a reality and they took care of everything for me, all I did was choose my favorite color and they took over. I had no saying in how the decorations were going to go, how the tables were going to be set up, the food... nothing.
The temple ceremony was so special, it was done in Spanish and they had a translator for my mom when they did it in English. Outside was beautiful, the trees were already changing colors and the background for the pictures was just awesome, that is something that I would not change for the world. The reception pretty much was all about us being on display, with people coming over to us to congratulate us, basically we stood there for hours and didn't even get to eat (my mother in law would not let us leave the line)... I am not really complaining but this is how you get the idea that by no means did we think it was the perfect wedding. My dream wedding would have all of my friends from back home, all of my family. We would have a reception outdoors in a place with a nice garden and surrounded by trees. We would have a dancing floor because we latinos LOVE to dance... the food would be a very traditional one, tamales for everyone. The dress looked soething like this (a mixed of these two dresses)

My dress looked more like the second one but the top of the dress looked more like the first one, the thing that I loved the most about the DREAM dress was the little bow on the side.
That's it, Dan agrees with me on this one, it would have been way funner. I can picture myself dancing almost all night long with friends probably since Dan does not like to dance but the fun thing about the wedding back home is when you go around and walk to people to their tables a do a toast. Also the bride and groom usually have their own table where they sit and talk and eat, yes we could have had out own meal. If I could do it all over again that is how it would go down :) In the end I guess all of this really does not matter as long as the end result is the same, I married the best man ever (at least for me) and we are still together and yes we are getting our happily ever after.

1 comment:
It sounds like a pretty fun wedding! I would have liked to come! For what it's worth... my mom planned all of mine. I was away at school and pretty much chose the colors (like you) and that was it! I did pick my floral boquet too. We didn't get to eat either... and was forced to open ALL our presents right afterwards with all my family on our honeymoon night! We did not get to our hotel room until after 11pm. And after waking up at like 4:20am that morning (or something crazy) I was EXHAUSTED! not exactly how you wanted to feel on your wedding night! :) I wanted dance music too... in stead I got a string quartet. (not my style at all!) but maybe we finally get our dream weddings when our children get married! ;) We married good men and are happy, and that is all that really matters!
Post a Comment