Friday, May 21, 2010

Our Trip part I

Picture fromt he Aquarium with the USS Lexington in the background.


So way before my mom came to stay with us she offered to watch my kids for a week if we wanted to go some place to be by ourselves. I was very excited about the idea and it took a lot of convincing with Dan because of school and work but he made it work in the end. So since February I have been waiting for it and last week on Friday we took of and drove all the way to Corpus Christi. Why Corpus Christi? Because I have heard so much about the beaches down there and how clean the water was and the sand all white... not so much :) Apparently there was this South Padre Island that was THE PLACE to go and we missed it :) But even if the beach was not all what I was hoping for we still manged to go there and walk in the sand and wait for the sunset... it was nice.
We got there so early on Friday morning and went straight to the Texas State Aquarium. I was dying to go that place ever since I saw pictures of it online, it was really nice but then realize that those places are better to visit with little kids other wise you are done in an hour. We did get to see the dolphins in their tanks under water and that is something I had not done before. Besides it was so hot outside and full of kids since they had tons of schools there for a field trip... just our luck.
We got a good deal on rooms down there through Priceline and the hotel had a very fancy lobby. it was the first time trying out Priceline with the "Name your Price" feature so I was a little scared but the room was nice and it had a queen size bed, the room was small but it was sufficient for our needs.
Since we were in Corpus Christi and knew that Selena used to live there and was buried down there somewhere we decided to go in search of her grave, her old house and a museum. We found the house and we found the grave. It was kind of cool to go see the grave of somebody so famous. I was always sad she was killed when she was so young and successful. We found the museum but it was closed, they are open M-F... just our luck once again.
Saturday was a very frustrating day since we had rain in the morning, thunder and lighting storm, it was crazy. We went to see the USS Lexington, a plane carrier. It was really cool and I could not believe my eyes when we realized we had spent 4 hours in there. We saw a movie in there too about Louis and Clark.
Dan had to work on homework but after that we went out again and he took me to the beach for the last time. That night we went out to eat at this awesome Mexican restaurant and I swear they had the best meal for me. I wanna go back there just to eat at that place again.
Now here are some pics of the first two days of our trip in Corpus Christi.

This is a replica of "La Nina", one of the boats used by Cristobal Colombo when he discovered the Americas, I thought it would be bigger. It was really cool.

We had breakfast at a Whataburger and they had a second floor, so of course we had to go and eat up there.

2 comments:

heather said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun! It is nice that you were able to go on a vacation without any kids... We went last year by ourselves for the first time and it was great! I love the picture of you two on the beach... you look so happy!

Tiffany W. said...

That is funny, I have totally hear d the same thing about the Corpus Chrisit beaches and that island. I love that last picture of you two. Too cute! I am still dreaming of a trip with Seth and no kids! :)

Powered By Blogger