Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Independence Day

I think that even after becoming a citizen of this country, I still have the right to remember and show respect for my first country's Independence Day. On September 15th 1821, Guatemala got their independence from Spain.
I always liked the way they celebrated it, they had Marching Bands from different schools go down the street and the entire school would march with them, they also had a group of girls marching/dancing right behind the band. It was so much fun. Downtown they had the biggest and coolest schools do the same but it was way more exciting. I don't know that they do anymore, since they banned the whole thing just before I left Guatemala, due to the Peace Agreements they had at the moment, because a lot of the schools are military schools and they march with their riffles (not loaded) and they wear this nice soldier uniforms. But it was really cool. Every year I try to sing the National Anthem (I do it when Dan is not around), but his year was really hard, I tried to show the kids a video on line and sing it at the same time but the tears would not stop coming down my face. I know Drama Queen!!! But seriously it is a beautiful song, the words are so meaningful and I think they said that it was on of the most beautiful National Anthems in the World.
Happy Independence Day Guatemala.

2 comments:

Seth Washburn said...

Happy Independence Day Hyde!!! You should always be proud of being from Guatemala! :) ( This is Tiffany)

Nathalie said...

Hey I was not born in Guatemala but if you ask me were I am from I always say Guatemala. I am proud of the country with all its ups and downs I love Guatemala. You can have 2 or 3 countries that are part of you and that, I think make a better person out of you because you can teach and share many positive things. Like the marching bands the National Anthem is one of 3 if I am not wrong that are the most beautiful in the world, and yes with a lot of meaning, I love singing the anthem, I even have it in my Ipod. So lets keep on loving Guatemala, and the USA, since we all are what a great nation should be.

Powered By Blogger