Last year I was able to finally get all my ducks in a row and was super excited to start planning my trip to Guatemala.
My mom was super excited and would give her updates on the progress I was making gathering what I needed to get my passport, buying the ticket and finally getting that date set.
My cousins were excited to know I was coming and were planning a big gathering with all of our family members so they could see me. My mom and I planned things to do, day trips to some special places and the food we would eat. I remember the week before I was supposed to leave, she told me about all the fruit she found and the meals she was going to prepare for me. At that point the virus was starting to spread faster and to many other countries... we were starting to feel a little worried that maybe the trip was not going to happen. Day by day we would update each other on what was going on. Finally things got more complicated and I decided that it would be best to postpone the trip, borders were starting to close and then finally Covid-19 cases started to show up in Guatemala. I made the tough decision to cancel my plans, with a broken heart but knowing that it was for the best. My cousins were devastated too but knew that it was for the best.
I moved my dates to the end of May and now here I am 9 days away from my possible trip and it looks like we will have to move it once more.
I will be honest and say that this does not seem fair, but honestly when I think about it... my mom is healthy, no one in my extended family has gotten the virus and I pray they don't. As long as they are OK, my time will come and I will get to see them all again.
I am still super sad that this happened and things didn't work out the way they were supposed to. I don't understand why after so many years of trying to get back home, when it finally seemed so perfect, this happened. It doesn't seem fair.
My mom and I keep reporting back to each other on how things are going, everyday we do a check in. It is funny because it is always the same, but it makes us feel better knowing that we are OK.
So I guess, now I just wait and see if I can move my flight to maybe in the fall? Crossing my fingers.

No comments:
Post a Comment