Thursday, March 17, 2011

What did I get myself into??

I think it was about a week ago that I received a phone call from the Bishop's wife (she is the first counselor in the Relief Society) and she asked if I could teach the lesson in two weeks.  I don't know what took over me but before I knew I had said yes.  I don't think I knew what I was accepting to do until I hanged up the phone and then went over the conversation in my head... yup I said yes.
The reason why I am freaking out is because it has been 12+ years since I taught a class in the RS and also that the last time I did it well it was in Spanish.  I get really nervous when in comes to talk in front of people and then to think that I will have to stand there for 35 minutes trying to teach a bunch of ladies that probably know a lot more than I do about the subject and are definitely more qualified to do it.  Why me????  Is it because I need to work on this subject in my life?  By the way the lesson is about Charity.
I am really tough on myself for having a horrible accent and not being able to pronounce the words correctly I mean when I am talking to friends or even my kids they always ask me to repeat what I say or have a really confused look in their faces, so I can just see myself that day talking and talking and wondering if they are being able to "understand the words that are coming out of my mouth".  On the bright side if I do a bad job they simply wont ask me again right? 
Funny thing is that today I got another phone call from the same sister and she wanted to remind me that the topic is the one from the manual and that it is this Sunday and here I was thinking I had an extra week, nope it is THIS Sunday, good thing I have been preparing myself since last week and to top it all off I have another breast infection and not feeling well at all. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Me hace sentir aliviada oirte decirlo, porque siento lo mismo cuando estoy hablando en espanol. Puedo decir exactamente lo que pienso en ingles y sentirme bastante inteligente, pero cuando intento espresarme en eso otro idioma es como tengo 5 anos y mi lengua no funciona. Tu ingles es por lo menos 20 veces mejor que mi espanol. Haras muy bien en ensenlarlo. Me gusta el tema de la caridad - aun si no lo tengo perfectamente, siempre me gusta, verdad?

Kawa Rangers said...

I think you will do an amazing job. I hate speaking too. I get so nervous, and stumble on everything I say, but I always remind myself that as long as you do your best, the spirit will be there. It won't matter what you say, because the spirit will be warming peoples hearts:)

Seth Washburn said...

you'll do great Hyde! you don't have a thick accent at all. I am sure you have lots to share with the sisters in your ward. I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well. And I think you forgot to add to the list taht you have been watching three extra kdis all Spring Break, right? I think you're amazing!!!

Michelle said...

I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck!

Wendy said...

You will do a great job! I was in the same situation a few weeks ago and the thing to remember is that you don't have to stand up there and fill the whole time. Use plenty of questions that help the sisters fill it up with comments and turn it into a discussion. And don't worry if they don't answer immediately. sometimes you have to let them think about it before they answer. As for your accent, you speak wonderfully! Don't be so hard on yourself!!:)

Emily said...

i hope it went well. You are way too hard on yourself. I have never had a hard time understanding you. Out of all the people I know with spanish accents, I think your's is one of the clearest!

Powered By Blogger