Victor has been enjoying Scouts a lot and I have to admit that it's been fun for me too. Since Dan is always working and barely has any time free to work with him on his projects I have been the one most of the time helping him with them. I used to be in Scouts when I was little and loved it so this is kind of like second nature to me.
His car is the black one in the #1 spot.
Victor had a cool design for his car, it was the Batmobile, Shayna came up with her own, Tristan wanted a pick up truck and Aaron just made a simple race car.
The main thing for me was to let Victor do as much of the work as possible, knowing that he has a hard time at failing to do something right the first time I kept encouraging him to keep going no matter what, he learned to used several tools and actually did a good job shaping his car. We ended up buying a couple of tools we did not own and then replace the one that broke while working on the project (yay for that). I love power tools even if they are the little ones.
The annoying part of the whole process was the actual painting of the cars, waiting in between coats drove the kids crazy since they wanted to finish the cars in one day. Once they were all done painting them we had Dan help us out with the positioning of the wheels, it seemed very confusing to me but I think Dan did a very good job with that. The day of the competition Victor was super excited and us parents were concern with the actual racing since Victor LOVES to be #1 all the time. We explained to him several times that it did not matter if he didn't win (which was what we expected) the races but the most important thing was to participate and to see his car that he worked so hard to to compete. He did great and we were so proud of him the entire time. He was just thrilled to be part of the whole thing, he ended up in 4th place and he came running to us with a big happy face and said "I got 4th place!!!" that just made my day. The other kids had the chance to race too and had lots of fun, they all won a certificate but Victor got a certificate for having "The most futuristic car" in the competition.
Recently Victor accomplished all the requirements to get his Wolf Badge and was super excited about it. He also earned like 6 belt loops, one gold arrow and 2 silver arrows. He is as happy as can be and so proud of himself. I did not take a pic of his birdhouse that he built but he did a good job on that. They had the Blue and Gold banquet last week and he was asked to bring a cake decorated by him. He came up with his own design and I helped him a little bit. He made a cowboy and a couple of cactus out of fondant then he decorated the cake with grass and did the writing on the cake, I think he did great.
It makes me so happy to see his progress and the things he is learning and accomplishing. He will soon be 9 years old and more exciting things will come his way, I am just so glad to be there to help him out.
Dan giving him his Wolf Badge

1 comment:
Oh, how fun! I love power tools too - I'm glad you had a good excuse to get some more :) Way to go Victor!
Post a Comment