Thursday, March 4, 2010

Life back then and now.

So a friend of mine had a status on Facebook that brought back so many memories from years ago, by the way Trina if you happen to read this I really did not get offended by your status :)
When we first got married Dan was working for United Airlines and from the start he got stuck with the night shift, he worked for them for a little over 6 years and I think he only got a day shift maybe for 3 months. When we didn't have any kids it was fine and I adjusted to it, then Shayna came along and sadly she had to adjust also to our crazy life. We did not own an extra car back then and I did not know how to drive anyways so I always stayed home with Shayna all the time. The shopping had to wait until Dan came back from work and then the three of us would go over to Walmart in the middle of the night. I remember walking around and people looking at us like we were the most evil parents in the world for taking a little one out so late. We got used to those looks too. Shayna was such a good baby that she never cried when went shopping or usually slept through the whole thing. When we moved to WV it was the same but I had no friends and the night trip to the store were usually done a little later since Dan schedule kept changing every three months. Dan used to get Mondays and Tuesdays off most of the time so we could not do our shopping on Saturdays and he was always so tired after he woke up since we went to bed around 2 or 3 am. He used to wake up around 10 or 11 if Shayna and I were super quiet and then he would have lunch with us and then leave for work again. We tried to do as much as we could together on his days off but somehow we were always tired. After we moved back to VA and had Victor and Tristan in the mix we were able to get a minivan from my sister in Law Heather and that made the difference for us, I was able to go with the kids to the store and the night trips stopped. We still had the issue of keeping the kids up until midnight at least so they could sleep in a little bit more and not wake Dan up in the morning. We were pretty good about taking naps during the afternoon to make sure the kids were rested. It was a strange life I know, not everybody can deal with that and it was not our choice, we just had to deal with it but I often wondered what we were going to do when Shayna had to start school and that is when things changed for us big time. Since we were so so so poor back then I had to work part time and Dan and I got to see each other for a couple of hours during the week, then we had the opportunity to sell our house and move to Utah, as much as we loved VA we knew the change was a good one and it would bring a new life for us and the kids. And it did. We moved there and Dan got a day time job, no work on weekends and a normal schedule, so after 6 years we became a normal family with a normal job and I got to stay home (for a while) with the kids.
I did work in Utah for a while and it was the night shift, it was the only option for me to be able to stay home with the kids and avoid daycare but it was draining my life away. When my mom was staying with us she used to watch the kids for me while I slept during the day and then I would go to work at night, it was only three days a week but it was hard. When we saw the chance for us to move again, we saw a light at the end of the tunnel and decided it was the best for us. Now I am here staying at home with kids, don't have a job and I only stay up at night because I like it. I don't mind working and if I had to do it again I would, specially now that Dan is in school and we know that some day he will graduate and we will have to pay that loan back, we don't like owing money so I would probably get a job to help pay it down quickly. Hopefully he will be able to get a better job after he graduates.
When I look back on those days it makes me happy because we were a happy little family, we had all we needed and life was good, we are still a happy family but things just kind of got a little bit complicated and we worry about different things now. I would not change anything though, we have learned so much from our experiences and are glad of the progress we have made after all these years. Life is good!!!

4 comments:

Anna Linnea said...

I had no idea your life was so crazy back in VA! I am amazed that we were able to pull that all off. I would be a zombie!

Unknown said...

I am glad that you were not. I just was making an observation about a very young couple last night that obviously was neglecting their child. I have seen it lots before and try not to judge too harshly with others, not knowing what their situation is, but I also know, that there are parents out there that do it for themselves, and the poor kid has to tag along. Anyway, you are wonderful Hyde and everything you do amazes me how upbeat a positive you are about it.

Chulitamaya said...

Yes Lineea life was crazy back then and most people did not know it because I am not the kind that goes around and tells everybody what's going on right then. They were fun times and I am glad we got together a lot to let the kids play. I miss those days.
Trina I know exactly what you mean, I have seen it too and it really makes you feel bad for the little ones thanks for your words but it took me a while to figure out it was you writing ha ha.

The Bingham's said...

HAHAHA!! I didn't even realize that I was signed under Eric. That is too funny. Yes, that was me, not Eric.

Powered By Blogger