Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dr. Mehmet C. Oz

I started watching the Dr. Oz show a couple of weeks ago since they had some interesting topics, I don't think I am addicted to his show but I do enjoy watching it twice or three times a week. I have been able to learn a few things that I didn't know and have discovered that some things I knew were all wrong.
Here are a couple of things that really got to me yesterday:

#1 When you get pregnant the muscles in your tummy stretch so much that some times they tear and you can never make them come back together. That explains why my tummy looks kind of funny. Lucky women out there don't have this issue and that is why their tummies are so flat once they get rid of their baby weight. I am pretty sure I don't have the worst case and can still work really hard to make my muscles heal I guess but now I know.

#2 Weight gain during pregnancy. I remember how people used to tell me "you are eating for two now" and practically shove food down my throat. I used to think that I was doing the right thing and was helping by baby and that she or he would be a beautiful 8 pounder at least since I got so huge. I went from 113 lbs to 160 lbs with Shayna and was amazed when she was born at 6.5 lbs. Are you serious? After gaining almost 50 pounds that's how big she was? I could not believe it and so my battle to get rid of the baby weight began. It took me 14 months to loose most of it. The second time around I got smarter and only gained 30 lbs, the third time I gained 35lbs and the last time I only gained 16 lbs. Now how the heck didn't I gained that much when I got pregnant with Shayna? Things sure change in a few years. So I learned yesterday thanks to Dr Oz that the extra intake of calories for the first trimester should be 100 calories a day, 150 for the second trimester and I think about 200 for the third trimester which basically equals a banana and an apple. So the extra stake and 3 or 4 serving of ice cream are not necessary.
I didn't know any better back then, I was so new to the pregnancy thing and had nobody to talk to, now I see all the women that get pregnant and they look so skinny and are back to their old self one month or two after they deliver, that is because the doctors are advising them the right way. What helped me gain only 16 lbs during my last pregnancy was my gestational diabetes, I was on a strict diet and I felt good.

I have discovered many many more things thanks to that show, but those are the two things that were an eye opener for me :)

1 comment:

Denise said...

My poor stomach muscles seperated when I had one of my kids and I think the only way to fix it is with surgery. I can literally feel where it is seperated (I know a little too much information). Maybe someday we will have lots of extra money and I'll have the surgery-along with a tummy tuck and a few other tucks and fills. Until that day I guess I'm just going to have to keep excerising.

Powered By Blogger