Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Becoming an American Citizen
So after so many years I am finally doing it. I know I should have done it like 7 years ago but I just could not bring myself to doing it. Here is why. I feel like I have betrayed who I am, first by leaving my country, family and friends, I came to this country for one reason and that was to follow my happiness, to marry the man that I love and to start a new life. I didn't think twice when I did it, don't get me wrong, I don't regret that. But I didn't really think about what I had to do to stay in this country, I feel like I have to give up a big part of myself, by becoming a citizen I would be giving up in paper what I am, I know that it wont change the way people look at me in this world and that is why it bothers me that I have to do it. If only what would change so many things. Dan still doesn't get and I try to explain it to so many people. I like this country, this is where my family is, where I want my kids to grow up and if I want to be with them I have to do it. So this week I am sending my paperwork and then I'll just have to wait, pass the test and get over with. In my heart I will always be "Guatemalteca" and very proud of it. Of course my accent proves it. I will try to pass on all my traditions to my kids and their kids. I wont forget who I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Awww Hyde. I get it! I can understand and see the sacrifice that you are making for your family.
If it makes you feel better, I don't see you as giving it up, but adding to it. You will ALWAYS be Guatemalteca! Your kids will also know where they are from! If it wasn't for that great country I would not have you as a SIL!
Post a Comment